Monday, December 7, 2015

Barefoot Contessa: Rosemary White Bean Soup

I'm not super familiar with the Ina Garten of Barefoot Contessa.  I've heard of her, of course, but that's about it.

Enter her books checked out from the library and I came across her recipe for Rosemary White Bean Soup.    I happen to have a dying Rosemary plant in my bathroom right now, so it was good timing.  I altered her recipe and used can beans instead of dried, and a lot more of them than what she called for.  My hubby isn't big on too much broth without substance, such a sad shame.


Pic from her cookbook.

So good, my kids ate it up and requested I make it again.  And since I have to use the plant up I think I'll make a bunch and freeze it.  Here's my version (original at the link above).

Rosemary White Bean Soup

- 4 cans white beans
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 6-inch piece of rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups chicken stock

Saute onions in olive oil for about 10 minutes, add garlic and cook for 3 minutes.  Add rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil, simmer for about 30 minutes.  Mash some of the beans to help thicken.  Season with pepper and salt.  Serve with crusty bread and parmesan cheese.  Would be good with ham if you had some laying around.  I didn't, but maybe next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment