Thursday, December 17, 2015

Christmas Shopping & 100 Books Done!

I finished my Christmas shopping.  This makes me feel quite accomplished because now I don't have to fight the crazy crowds in the last few days.

Christmas Click Frenzy  funny, Christmas, ecard, online shopping, spending:
This was not me so I'd say success for sure!  (Although I was tempted a few times!)

We went light this year because of the pool membership, but I did a fair amount of shopping year round for things on sale so there wasn't a whole lot I had to get.  Every year I struggle with Christmas though.  It really does take away the celebration of Jesus' birth and focuses on ourselves as we all get excited about presents instead of the God who came to save us.  This will probably always be a struggle for us.

I finished my 100 books!  The 100th book I read was Being Mortal by Atul Gawande who happens to be a surgeon and comes from two parents who were also doctors.


Get yourself to Amazon and buy this book immediately.  (The library waiting lists are too long.) One of the best books that I have ever read.  It focuses on how medicine doesn't deal with death in a meaningful way and how healthcare, old-style nursing homes in particular and doctors pushing new medicine that mostly make things worse because we throw so many things at people that don't work or make us physically worse all in the name of getting a few more days of "life".    Don't be scared. This is not about death panels.  I am not even describing it well at all, but if there is one book you by for 2016 make it this one.  It will make you reevaluate all sorts of ideas on what the end of your life looks like and more specifically, what you want it to look like. 



No comments:

Post a Comment