Friday, January 22, 2016

After Alice

I was so excited when I saw the book After Alice, written by the author of Wicked.  I first glimpsed it at Costco and quickly got on to my library's waiting list.



I loved Alice in Wonderland when I was a kid, and so the idea of the story about Ada, briefly mentioned in Alice, following her down the rabbit hole intrigued me.  And apparently a whole slew of others because I had to wait quite a bit for it.

Unfortunately, I didn't even finish it.  Slow to start, slow to move and filled with all sorts of thoughts on Victorian England, Darwin, and a series of random other things, I put it down after only page 70, about 25% of the way in.

Typically, I don't like to not finish books.  But it's just not worth it in my opinion anymore.  Life is too short to finish books that aren't good.  I did, however, hop on to Amazon and read some of the reviews in case I was being supremely unfair by quitting it early, but found that many others echoed my thoughts- boring.  My advice, skip it.

And on another sort of related note, when I was in fifth grade I remember reading a book that was leather bound with gold writing on the cover.  I couldn't remember much about the story other than that a little girl peered into a large mirror and saw the room that she was in was all backwards.  And that was it.  For just about 20 years I tried to remember what it was about.  I even asked a librarian and she didn't know based on my tiny description.

Then later I picked up a copy of Alice and Wonderland which also had Through the Looking Glass in it, and there it was, the story that I had thought about for all those years.  It was Through the Looking Glass that I had read as a child, (and really, any good librarian should have known it even from my very brief description of what I could remember!)

I managed to even find a copy of the book that I had read as a child.



Only $40 used on Amazon!  I think I'll pass, but it was so fun to see it again after all these years, looking mostly as I remembered it so vaguely.

No comments:

Post a Comment