Friday, February 19, 2016

Homemade Deodorant- An Alternative to Aluminum

We've slowly been trying to get chemicals out of the products we use.  The last big one is anti-perspirant/deodorant.  I believe that aluminum is a no-no, and so I tackled my last frontier, the underarm.

To be honest, I've tried this before and it worked, I just fell off the wagon, but I recommitted to trying to get more green with my products.  So here we go again.

Essential Oil Deodorant-4
From Fresh Mommy Blog because her pictures are beautiful and I didn't take any.

I also used Fresh Mommy Blog's recipe.  But there are a million on pinterest so use the one that makes you happy.

Homemade Deodorant

1/2 c. coconut oil
1/4 c. arrowroot powder
1/4 c. baking soda
essential oils to smell

Melt the coconut oil over low heat, add the rest of the ingredients, stir.  Pour into small jar.  Let harden into a semi-solid state (it will be harder if colder, more liquid if warmer).  Note the essential oils are added to smell, but a little can go along way.  I used peppermint.   Apply a small amount under arms. It will melt because of your body heat.  I find it helps to move your arms around to help it soak in and wait a minute before putting your shirt on.

Two caveats to mention.  The first is that it is commonly sited that people switching to natural deodorant often have an adjustment period where it doesn't work all that great for about a month.  I have not experienced that this time around, but it is winter where I live and about 25 degrees so I am clearly not sweating all that much.  I am hoping that I will adjust and when it does get hot it won't be much of an issue.

The second is that I don't regularly shave my armpits.  Probably more info. than what you wanted to know.  I do this because I have noticed that I don't seem to sweat as much when there is hair there.  I guess God gave us armpit hair for a reason.  I don't know if my response to how it has worked would be different if I regularly shaved my pits.  So there you go, use that info. however much you want.

I've only been using the deodorant for about a week and I would say it is just as effective as my old deodorant.  Nothing is going to make you stop sweating completely, but this works just as good as what I was using before.  And no potential problem causing aluminum.

Win win.


No comments:

Post a Comment