Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Plants Doing Well In My House

I have a tricky relationship with plants.  Sometimes I can keep them alive and sometimes I can't. Here's what's working so far.

Snake plant.  These are essentially impossible to kill and need hardly any light although they can handle a lot.  You can forget to water them, leave them in a too small planter for years and they never fail you.  

I don't actually know what this plant is.  It sort of borders on a succulent, but not excessively.  I bought it at Home Depot and keep it in our bathroom with a lot of other plants in a huge bay window that faces south surrounding our tub.  I water it like a succulent, maybe once or twice a month in the winter time.

We call this plant defcon fury.  Those white things around the base of this one are huge spikes.  Who ever saw a cactus with leaves?  I actually carried this one in the car on the floor between my legs when we moved.  The moving company wouldn't move anything living.  Sometimes the leaves turn brown and drop off but apparently that is normal, although it hasn't dropped as many this winter.  

Another Home Depot cactus.  This one also has gone crazy, but I find that I am still struggling when to know how to water anything in the cactus family.  In the winter I've basically been doing a really good drenching once a month, but I still feel like I am guessing if it's correct.  I felt like some of the new growth were turning yellow and it had been awhile since I watered so I dumped a bunch in it and then the little buds went crazy.  But the yellow color of them made me think I was overwatering.  I feel like in the end I may just kill this one because I can't figure it out.  

 

The Fiddle Leaf Fig.  Decorators' darling.  One in the living room and one in the kitchen (still haven't fixed the wall after my wallpaper fiasco).  People always say that these plants are hard to keep alive but I haven't found that at all.  the large one even grew at our old house which had terrible light and I broke the top half off in the move and it has since regenerated a new branch.  I also regularly forget to water them, sometimes over water them and they still keep kicking.  I have found both of mine at Walmart for dirt cheap.  


White Bird of Paradise.  This plant is pretty straight forward. Water when dry, and dust the leaves if you remember.  This one I got at Costco for like $20 and it really helps fill up our living room.  Apparently they are very slow growing, and almost never flower when kept inside.  

And for the epic fail.


The Yucca.  It had a beautiful top portion that you can see is now missing.  This is in the corner of our bedroom near a south facing window, but I think tucked too far back to really get the light.  The top leaves starting turning solid yellow and falling off.  My research said it was because I didn't water enough, but I am not sure.  I definitely didn't water a lot, but we'll see.  It seems like that one plant is doing okay, but I should know soon if it is going to bite the dust as well.  


No comments:

Post a Comment