Friday, April 15, 2016

French Butter Keeper & Why You Need One

In a Marie Kondo world, where we're constantly asking ourselves if something brings us joy and getting rid of all things excessive, it's rare to hear someone say you need something.  Especially something slightly obscure like a butter keeper.

We don't eat a ton of butter, and in the past I've just taken a stick, tossed it on a plate and there it sat in the cupboard in between uses.  By the time we rolled around to eating it again it tasted funny, in other words, it had gone rancid.

Enter the french butter keeper.  I had first heard about it on the blog A Cup of Jo on their gift guide for moms.  I was intrigued enough to research into a little bit more.

Here is the butter keeper they suggested.

French Butter Keeper

Adorable, and I really love the rustic simplicity but perhaps a little bit small for the price. $35.

The idea behind the french butter keeper is that you soften your butter, put into the top bowl, put a small amount of water into the base and turn your butter section upside down into the water.  The water creates an air-tight seal, thus preventing the butter from going rancid.  You change the water a couple of times a week.  Easy and your butter is always fresh.

I decided to search Amazon and see what they had available.

Norpro 291A White Butter Keeper, Porcelain
I like the simplicity of this one, and the price at $10, but it's made in China and we really are trying to stay away from that.


Le Creuset Stoneware Butter Crock, 6-Ounce, Cherry
Le Creuset. Pretty much the top tier of all things in the kitchen.  This one comes in six colors for $40.

This one is made by a ceramics company in Oregon.  Love that it's made in the USA, and you can get different options in place of that cow medallion on the top.  (But the cow is my favorite!)  $39


In the end I chose one from Le Creuset.  I really liked the Oregon option, but with no lid and little fingers, I figured the chances of it breaking were much higher.  I used my Amazon reward points to help purchase this and make it a little more palatable to the budget.  Because I have to say $40 for a jar to keep butter in really does sound insane!



No comments:

Post a Comment