Monday, April 4, 2016

No Spending April

Last month I read the book Living Well Spending Less.



The whole premise is spending what we can afford, focusing on saving for the future, minimizing the American mentality of I-want-it-I need it-I-have-to-have-it-now syndrome.

In it she talks about how her family decided to have a month where they didn't buy anything that wasn't essential.  No coffees at Caribou, nothing from the second hand store, no shoes on clearance even if it's for the kids, nothing extra at all.

I decided that would be an excellent plan and thus we have No Spending April.

Her family was able to save over $1000, and while I am not anticipating that much because we just don't have that type of expendable income, I am hoping that the number will be several hundred dollars.

My plan is to obsessively pay attention to what we are buying, which will mostly consist of groceries, because there isn't really anything that we would need besides that.  We all have more than enough clothes, more than enough entertainment, more than enough toys.  Although with taking their toys away because they don't clean them up, they don't even miss those.  They read, and play outside, and color and draw, and never even ask for toys.  

Even with food we'll focus a lot on eating what we have, which will probably involve some, shall we say, creative meals.  And that's okay.  It will be a good time to talk to our kids about all of the people in the world who don't get to eat regular meals.

I'm excited and will blog about how it goes.





No comments:

Post a Comment