Thursday, September 3, 2015

Lemongrass Chicken Soup (sounds questionable, tastes awesome)

I planted two lemongrass plants in our garden.  Mostly because they were on super clearance at the time.  They've gotten big and I haven't done a thing with them.  Enter Lemongrass Chicken Soup.

Lemongrass Noodle Soup with Cucumber & Chicken
From the Flavor Bender.

I found this blog while trying to figure out how to harvest the lemongrass. I modified the recipe a lot, but the original is at the link above.

I added zucchini, because hello, it's early September and I have zucchini coming out my ears.  I also added more onion and mushrooms, and left all that stuff in to eat.  The original recipe has you take out all the veggies.  That's like a sin in my house.

Lemongrass Chicken Soup

  • 2 qts. chicken stock
  • 3 tbsp chopped lemongrass (2 white stalks of lemongrass, bruised)
  • dried red pepper sprinkle to taste
  • 1½ inches of ginger sliced
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 1 medium zucchini chopped
  • 2-3 large mushrooms chopped
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar 
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 2 pounds chicken

* 1 package of some type of thin rice noodles.

Cut chicken into small pieces, add salt and pepper to taste and cook.  Meanwhile, in large pot add everything else except the rice noodles and bring to a boil.  Simmer until the chicken is done, add chicken to broth and simmer about 10 minutes longer.  After you've added the chicken to the broth, cook the rice noodles according to directions.  When they are done rinse them completely- don't forget this or you will have a starchy, congealed mess.  I like to put noodles in the bowl first and then add the broth.  Serve.

This would taste awesome with cilantro and sriracha sauce, both of which I didn't have.  Insert sad emoji here.  

My kids ate this up like crazy and asked for me to make it again.  And I totally will.

No comments:

Post a Comment