Monday, September 21, 2015

Salsa Canning and Cute Kids

I canned salsa over the weekend.

And this was the place where mama canned enormous amounts of her garden yield as well as bushels of fruit from the market - getting ready to store for winter eating.:

This was the only applicable picture when I pinterested "canning humor".

These came up too.  Which have nothing to do with canning at all but they are funny.

Laughed At This For Way Too Long // funny pictures - funny photos - funny images - funny pics - funny quotes - #lol #humor #funnypictures:    Josh is like: UGH! Gosh I hate Capitol citizens...:

Anyway, back to the real reason for this post.  All my tomatoes turned ripe at the same time and were in no way going to be eaten fast enough.  So I got brave and canned them.

I loosely followed this recipe.  Now, it says all sorts of scary things about how you shouldn't deviate from the recipe and blah, blah, blah.  The thing with tomatoes is that they are acidic enough to use with a water bath canner.  You should also add 1T of lemon juice to every can that you add salsa into. I used 20 pounds of tomatoes and then everything else was to taste.

I'll spare you the step by step pictures most people take because I take terrible pictures.  But I will give you a shot of some of the jars.
















By the way, canning takes forever.  Like hours.  But at least my tomatoes didn't rot.  And it tasted pretty good too.  My one advice is add more salt than you like, because my salsa tasted perfect before canning, and then lost a lot of the salt flavor after.

And just for fun- cute kids.  because it has been awhile since I've posted them


No comments:

Post a Comment